Monday, October 3, 2011

the neverending [quilt] story

i solemnly swear that this is the last time i will write about this quilt. until then...

yay! it's done! and it's superfantastic!
habitat challenge - done! front

here's a quick recap for first time readers. this quilt is part of The Modern Quilt Guild's participation in the Habitat Challenge, wherein masochistic quilters signed up to make something [the IMQG chose quilts] using a random selection of the fabrics. I outlined the rules, which I totally broke, in this post. We won't dwell on that.

the size of these blocks ended up really manageable. I cut 8.5" squares of all of my print and solid fabrics, and then used my #1 favorite HST making technique from Missouri Star Quilt Company. In case you missed it last time around, here it is. Watch, and be amazed.


I KNOW, RIGHT!?

What was i saying? oh, yes - the blocks. They came together quickly and easily.
habitat challenge - done! front

For the back, I used 2 of my favorite prints from the collection, picked up at a new local fabric shop, The French Seam.
habitat challenge - done! back

I quilted it with straight lines in three directions, set 1/4" from the inside of all three sides of the print triangles, so that all of the solid squares remain blank.
habitat challenge - done! front detail

I'd like to pause for a moment and tell you something hilarious. My friend katie affectionately calls one of the prints in the above photo the "bears" print. Two points if you ID which one and tell me why she calls it that.

And, oh look! how fancy on the back!
habitat challenge - done! back

For the binding I selected yet another high-impact print from the collection. I added that narrow bit of kona charcoal sashing to the front to help this print really pop.
habitat challenge - done! binding


Tomorrow this one is winging its way to Glenwood Springs, CO in time for a wedding on Saturday.
habitat challenge - done! front at twilight

I'm sad to see it go, but happy it has such a special purpose.